Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ricky Gervais

Ricky Gervais is far and away my favorite comedian right now. Probably because he combines intelligent writing with sarcasm.

Here is one of my favorite bits.

Rumour has it that he will be asked to host the Golden Globes again.  In case you missed it. I really hope he does. I have never really been a fan of watching the Golden Globes. At least they were tolerable with Ricky hosting. He sure raises a few blood pressures! Some would argue that he took it too far. That he was mean to the delicate celebrities. I disgaree. This is a great point of view.

I have always enjoyed intelligent comedy. Probably the first comedian I noticed doing intelligent material was Dennis Miller. Bill Maher and Jon Stewart have also made a career of it. And let's not forget Tina Fey.

I think our political dialog needs more intelligent comedy. We take ourselves WAY too seriously sometimes. We should be able to take a step back from our viewpiont and have a laugh. The right side of the aisle would disagree with me. I'm not sure they have a sense of humor that we are aware of.

So here's to the Ricky's, Tina's and Miller's of the world! Intelligent comedy is hard to do because you can't rely on sex jokes and the f-word to get a laugh.

Not that I don't appreciate a little f-word now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment