Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Zombies

The wrong generation is in charge. It's not their fault.

My generation (I'm 36) refuses to engage or vote.  Some do but the majority do not. I know I've been guilty of sluffing off responsibilty for who gets to be mayor/premier/prime minister.

I was going to go to a meeting that was being held to discuss the merits of building a medium security prison in my little town. This prison would provide jobs and local revenue that is greatly needed. I didn't go and now I regret it. These are the kind of meetings that we should be attending. This is the basis of our democracy. What side of a particular issue you fall on is beside the point. Get out and be heard.

Our senior generation has this all figured out. I'm sure last night's meeting was filled with people that were missing Wheel of Fortune to be there. They are, of course, opposed to the idea.

The problem is that this senior generation will be largely gone before the decisions that they have imput on will truly take effect. Decisions like whether or not to build a prison, a bridge, reform our health care...you get the idea. Meanwhile people still in the workforce, paying taxes are forced to leave for greener pastures because there is no chance at a well paying job or an affordable place to live.

My point is simple. Get involved. If the zombies have their way, we will never expand, never improve, never change the status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment