Friday, June 17, 2011

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

I’ve been thinking a lot about my childhood lately. I guess that’s what happens when you open Pandora's Box. With Father’s Day approaching, those thoughts have turned to the Father figures I had in my life as a child.

Popups reading me the funnies.
My Grandfather, Bob Moore -- Popups, was a huge influence. He bought me my first bike, taught me to love hockey. We used to watch Hockey Night in Canada and he would teach me the finer points of the game. He loved Don Cherry and Ron MacLean.  Popups had a great sense of humour and loved to joke around with people. Popups was also a straight-shooter and a great listener.

When my Mom and Nana were shopping, my Popups would take me to this little restaurant in the department store – The Copper Hood. It was filled with dark wood, old pictures of earlier times and some of the greatest smells. We would get a couple of scones the size of my head and a couple of drinks – coffee for Popups and root beer for me – and discuss life. Life seemed so simple then. Sitting in that restaurant is where I learned about politics, sports and cars (and how to flirt with waitresses). I cherish those memories and every time I go to that department store, I stop by that restaurant and look for him by the window. He was the best 'Popups' a guy could have and I was so lucky to have him for as long as I did.

Mom & Jack


When I was twelve, my Mom started dating Jack Duncan. Jack lived in Kelowna and went to the same church my Mom attended. A Logger by trade, he knew how to swoon Mom. After some great dates (even taking me along on occasion) Mom married Jack. We moved back to Kelowna from Port Moody. Transition for me wasn’t easy – and I don't envy him either.  I wasn’t an easy teenager to live with. All of that said, I look back on my teenage years with fondness. He taught me to drive (I wasn’t yet old enough and it was on logging roads. Mom was thrilled.),  He bought me my first electric shaver. Jack taught me how to work hard. He also has a great sense of humour. One example of this is the time he caught me 'borrowing' his truck. He used to park it in a set spot every day and meet up with the crew headed up to the bush. I decided that I wasn't going to wait for my license to drive around town so I took the bus to where the truck was parked. Jack kept a magnetic key on the frame, so I would take the truck out to the mall (where else?). Then I would try and put back whatever gas I used and return the truck to the exact spot. I thought I was so smart. That's the problem with the teenage brain. It thinks it's smarter then everyone else. I did this several times. Jack caught on and busted me one day. He devised a punishment that would fit the crime. My job that summer was to dig up our HUGE garden with a small spade. I was grounded until it was completed. It took me awhile. Once I was finished (and quite proud of the accomplishment) he rented a roto-tiller and tilled the garden over again. I was not amused but he thought that was great fun.

My first shave. The year was 1990.

It was Jack that introduced me to sales and negotiation. One of his favourite expressions revolves around "getting your money's worth." There are several electronics stores that probably have his picture up in the staff room. An avid reader and researcher, Jack would let me borrow Dale Carnegie books and audio tapes from Roger Dawson. I was fascinated by the their theories and methods. Back then, I think he knew that I would make my living with my mouth and brain. He's right. Jack has taught me so much. 


So on Father's Day -- I remember my good childhood. Despite the fact my Dad left, I had lots of support from great men. Without them, I really don't know where I would be right now. For that, I will always be grateful. Happy Father's Day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures!
    I remember thinking Jack was super cool because he owned a leather couch.

    ReplyDelete