Monday, May 16, 2011

The search for Dad: The Man

When I began this quest to reconnect with my Dad, one of my goals was to learn as much as I could about him. What kind of man was he? Am I like him? Do we share traits?

It's still early in the game but I think I can safely say that he was well liked and respected by the people he worked with. I have had several meaningful exchanges with colleagues in Regina and Whitehorse. They have been generous with their time and for that, I am grateful. I want to share a couple of comments. I have left the names off because I didn't have their permission to include them.

One of my favourite comments so far:

"I can honestly say that I enjoyed Mike very much, he was a fun almost"jolly" type guy that was also a very good jock. Mike was blessed with a great sound and a very pleasing and comfortable on air delivery."
Fingers crossed I can track down some audio. I would love to hear his voice. Getting audio will be a tall task as most of his airchecks would be on magnetic tape -- that's right -- tape. In talking to one of his former Program Directors, Charles Friedrich, Q92(CFMQ) had just started transferring to compact disc when he left radio in the late 80's. So any commercials he voiced would likely have been trashed. My how times have changed! In addition, Dad's airchecks would have left with him. Impossible? Dare to dream!


Another favourite:
  
"Let me say, that in the time I worked with Mike, I found him to be one of the most likable, affable,hardworking and downright decent dudes I met in my three decades in radio. A truly fine human being, and I was proud to call him my buddy for brief time."

This one makes me tear up. I would have loved to get to know my Dad. I now have to find peace within the lines of an email. Little snippets like this. This is where my Dad lives now. I must have read that quote a hundred times.

One more:
"I worked with him back in 1983 84. I was the evening swing announcer doing evenings and weekend mornings. He did the mid day show. He was the "station" nice guy always willing to help us new guys. I learned a lot about radio from him."
My Mother-in-law had a neat spin on this one. She felt that because my Dad was nice to the new young guys, that that was his way of hoping that someone would do that for me someday. I believe that to be true and I have had several people do that for me. More on paying it forward in an upcoming post.

CKOV-AM Production Studio -1973
So far, I think we do share several traits. Probably the most obvious to me is a sense of humour. It appears that he enjoyed his job, his co-workers and he liked to make them laugh and feel good.

I still have lots to discover.

I need to track down relatives on the Murphy side of the family. Most of the Murphy clan is in Ontario -- in the Wallaceburg/Chatham area.  Mike's Mom & Dad were named James (Jim) and Elizabeth. I believe they have been gone for some time.  He had a sister named Suzanne. I don't think she was married. In Regina, his wife's name is Linda North. I am not sure if she took his name when they married. I am pretty sure he brought her out to meet me when I was five. I would like to meet her again, if she is willing.

See, lots to do.

As always, I have depended on my social network to help me with clues, tips and names.  Thanks to the Puget Sound radio board, Airchecker, my Father in law Ted Farr and my Facebook crew, the blog really took off. I am forever grateful! Amazing people! Also a big thanks to those that have sent me emails with information and words of encouragement. Keep 'em coming! Most important, please continue to Re-Post -- Re-Tweet at will!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment