Monday, May 23, 2011

The Search for Dad: What's next?

I had to take a breather. So, for the last few days, I have tried to not think about my Dad and my search for answers. I have immersed myself in my family and have kept myself as busy as possible. 

However, dreams of my search and possible outcomes have kept me from having a restful sleep.

I have hit the wall in terms of information on what happened to my Dad. To recap, I traced him to Regina. In the late 1970's through to the mid 1980's, my Dad worked for CFMQ-FM (Q92) as the morning man and later, the mid-day host. In the late 80's, he left CFMQ-FM and radio in general. That's where the trail goes cold. In March of 2005, My Dad passed away at Regina General Hospital. At the time of his death, he was married to Linda North and living in a townhouse complex on Cameron Street in Regina. I have had many meaningful messages from his co-workers and colleagues in Regina radio and their memories have sustained me to this point. The last known date that one of them saw my Dad was 1989.



That means that I have no information on my Dad from 1989 to 2008. Nothing. It's like he dropped off the face of the earth. For reasons that don't make sense, he cut off everyone he knew in Regina radio -- people that he had worked with for up to 10 years.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. This behavior fits his modus operandi. My Dad, after all, cut me off too. When he left Kelowna, he left behind all of his friends, his radio colleagues and my Mom and I. It was like that part of his life ceased to exist. I don't understand what he was thinking at the time but there is no way I could do that to my family or my son, Jonathan. My heart wouldn't allow it.

The next step in this search is now before me and it is staggering. I'm not sure where to start or if I have the strength necessary to continue. This search has been all consuming.

I'm stuck in 1989 and I need to try and piece together the last twenty years of my Dad's life. Where did he live? What did he do for work? Who were his friends? How was his overall health? What happened to his wife, Linda North? I also need to find out what happened to his sister, Suzanne. I want to know if I have Murphy relatives out there somewhere. 

Tall order, to be sure and I have nothing to go on.

Once again, I am relying on you to spread this blog around to your valuable contacts. The more eyeballs that read these words, the better. You never know where the next piece of this puzzle will come from. Please forward, retweet or repost this to anyone that you think can help. For those that have already, I thank you! Many many people have helped me get to this point and I know that I will find the next piece of the puzzle from someone who reads this blog.

Answers are out there. And I need to get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment