Saturday, May 14, 2011

The search for Dad: An update

My search for my Dad, Michael Peter Murphy started last week . The decision to look for my Dad was an emotional one for me. As soon as I decided to formally post that decision here, I knew that I wouldn't be able to take it back. There was risk -- risk that I will not get the outcome that I set out for. I thought I understood that risk. I did not.

Today, a friend sent me a link to an announcement that said the following:
       Michael Peter Murphy 
Date of Birth: Monday May 28th 1945
Date of Death: Thursday March 31st 2005
Place of Death: Regina General Hospital
  
I have been unable to properly confirm whether this is my Dad however birth date matches his, Peter was his middle name and the painful pit in my stomach tells me that this is my Dad.

I wasn't prepared for this news even though the logical part of my brain knew it was a possibility and it has knocked me down.

This ad ran in 1978.
As a result of a lot of information provided by friends, family & complete strangers, I had tracked my Dad to Regina. My Dad ended up in Regina after a brief stint in northern BC, working with a friend named Dave Cummins. In the late 70's, he worked for CFMQ-FM (which is now CHMX-FM Lite 92). This station is currently owned by Harvard Broadcasting. I am not sure how long he worked there but I am fairly certain that he stayed in Regina until his death.

I am a lot more emotional about this development than I thought I would be. I'm sad that I won't be able to meet him and resolve some of the questions that haunt me. I'm sad that he will never meet my son, Jonathan or my wife Natalie. I'm sad that he will never see me as an adult. I am profoundly sad that I waited so long to conduct this search.

However, I do have a brand new set of questions. Do I have siblings or family? Is there someone that can shed some light on what he was like?

I need this blog to reach someone who worked with my Dad at CFMQ-FM or a member of his family. My goal may have changed somewhat but I still want to find out all I can about my Dad. So please continue repost-retweet-email this blog to anyone and everyone that you think can help. Your response has been overwhelming and humbling to this point. The tips, suggestions and information provided by you has been invaluable.  I owe you all the thanks in the world!

The search continues....










5 comments:

  1. I was afraid it might turn out this way, but I hope you're able to find some closure at least. I know someone who was working in Regina radio in the late 70s. I'll ask him on Monday if he remembers him.

    On an unrelated note, I see Ted Farr is your father-in-law. I worked for Ted in Saskatchewan. Hope he's well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't ever give up ~ my sister just found me and we're 44 & 46...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this post via my former co-worker and friend Roger (Rhodes).

    Willy Cole (pictured above your dad in that photo) just retired from CKRM last week and Gloria Evans (another former co-worker and friend) will be replacing him and working with Willy's long time sidekick Jamie.

    I would suggest starting there as Willy (who I also used to work with) might just have some info. As you well know by now, radio is a small, small world.

    Hope that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to both of you for the encouragement! Funny you should mention Willy Cole, Nikki+Shane -- I just heard from him yesterday -- he wrote me some kind words..He's a class act!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the early 70's I departed from 630, CKOV, Kelowna to move across the street to, what was then, 1140 CKIQ. I met your dad and Dave Cummins on several occasions, but never really got to know either of them that well. I do want to say, though, that my impression of Mike was that of a really easy-going friendly guy, personable and warm. He was a great on-air talent and I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, even though you were never able to find him "in person", as it were.

    ReplyDelete