Friday, May 13, 2011

The search for Dad

Taken prior to a Kelowna Regatta -- not sure on the year. Dad is the one in the apron.
I was five years old the last time I saw my Dad. That's an amazing sentence to write. The reality is that I haven't seen or heard from my Dad in 31 years. I don't have many clear memories of him but I do remember the last time I saw him. He picked me up to go to a theme park for my birthday. We were late and the theme park was closed so we went to McDonald's.
All I have left is speculation. I'm told I look like him and that I have a few similar traits. I guess I can't argue, having no frame of reference.


I have so many questions and most of them start with "Why?" Here is the hardest one. Why didn't he maintain contact? What happened? This mystery has given me many sleepless nights and is a gnawing hole in my heart. Every time I see a TV show or news story about a family being reunited, I wonder if I will ever be reunited with my Dad. Many times I have decided to look for him. I always lose the nerve. Now that I am a Dad, I owe it to myself, and my family, to get some answers. So I decided that I would start to search again. This time, I will provide updates on the progress of that search here on my blog. If I put this decision in writing, I will have to stick with it. I hope as the process plays out, I can get some closure.


I’ll start with what I do know about my Dad. His full name is Michael Peter Murphy. Michael is originally from Ontario, specifically the Chatham-Wallaceburg area. In the early 70's he moved to Kelowna and worked at a radio station, CKOV-AM. He was the 'Morning Man'. 

    

Family picture when I was around a year old.
At some point, he loved my Mom enough to marry her and I was born shortly after. I have quite a few pictures of my Dad holding me, feeding me and generally being a good Father. We lived in Kelowna for a time and then Kamloops, where he was in a local TV show for kids. Things didn't work out for my Mom and Michael, they separated and eventually divorced. That's where the details get sketchy. I am not sure what happened to him after the divorce. My Mom thinks he moved back to Ontario to be closer to family. John Michael's, his friend and colleague at CKOV, believes that he went to work at another radio station in northern BC. Either way, he did stay in touch for a brief time and even visited. He re-married and brought his new wife out to the Okanagan to visit me. That is all I know. Doesn't seem like much considering that this was my Father. Shouldn't I know more?


My search begins in Ontario. I will attempt to track down his sister or any other family members that might be able to give me clues. I am nervous and excited.
This blog is the catalyst for me. I will provide updates here as the search for my Dad continues but I can't do this alone. I need the support of my 'social' network to help me get this out to as many people as possible. Please retweet -- repost -- forward at will. Your circle of influence is invaluable!  The more people that read this the better. I would also appreciate any suggestions that would help me in my search. Most of all, wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rob
    As someone who enjoyed a lifetime of love and a strong relationship with her Dad, it pains me to see that you did not enjoy the same thing. May I suggest you try the Mormon church in BC and in Ontario, as they keep detailed records of every person in the area. Death records for each region may help, and perhaps trace the whereabouts of the second wife's family to glean information.
    If all else fails there's a tv show called Ancestors in the Attic (Canadian show) that I have seen track down missing family members. I hope that you find the answers you seek.
    Take Care
    Karen (Calgary, Ab)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I found some evidence that your father worked at CFMQ-FM in Regina in 1978. He's in a newspaper ad (as Mike Murphy -- the picture seems to match) promoting the Regina United Way. You might contact Harvard Broadcasting in Regina, or the recently-retired Willy Cole, who also appears in the ad.

    Don't know if it'll help, but good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to the ad:

    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/morningmenforunitedway1.png/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this Geoff -- I really appreciate it! It did help in confirming earlier information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, have often wondered where your father went after Kamloops. I worked with Mike at CKOV and stayed with him and your mother when I went to the Olympics in 1976. I had to catch a train out of Kamloops and they put me up for a night. I sort of think he went to work with Dave Cummings somewhere in the Prairies ... I can't remember who told me that, nor can I remember what station that would have been.

    ReplyDelete